Note: If you click a link on this page, then go on to make a purchase, we may receive a commission but at no extra cost to you

Dog Ate Chapstick

If you’re a dog owner, you know that your furry friend can be quite curious and sometimes get into things they shouldn’t. One common household item that dogs often ingest is chapstick.

While it may seem harmless, ingesting chapstick can actually pose serious health risks to your pup. Chapstick contains ingredients such as petroleum jelly, lanolin, and various oils that can cause digestive issues if consumed in large amounts.

In addition to gastrointestinal distress, ingesting chapstick can also lead to pancreatitis or blockages in the intestines. As a responsible pet owner, it’s important to be aware of the potential dangers and take steps to prevent your dog from eating chapstick.

Potential Health Risks of Ingesting Chapstick for Dogs

If your dog ingests chapstick, it can cause potential health risks such as gastrointestinal obstruction or toxic reactions. The ingredients in chapstick, such as petrolatum and beeswax, can cause blockages in the digestive tract if ingested in large amounts.

Other ingredients like camphor and menthol may also be toxic to dogs and could lead to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, or even coma.

In case of an emergency where you suspect that your dog has ingested chapstick, it’s important to seek veterinary treatment immediately. Your veterinarian may perform diagnostic tests such as X-rays or blood work to determine the extent of the damage caused by the ingestion.

Treatment may involve inducing vomiting or surgically removing any obstructions present in the digestive tract. It’s always better to err on the side of caution when dealing with pet emergencies and seek professional help as soon as possible.

Signs that Your Dog Has Eaten Chapstick

You’ll know something’s up when you start noticing greasy paw prints all over your floors and furniture. This is a common sign that your furry friend has gotten into your chapstick and ingested some of it.

In addition to the greasy residue, there are other behavioral changes to look out for. Your dog may become lethargic or show signs of discomfort such as vomiting or diarrhea. Identifying remnants of the chapstick in their stool is another telltale sign.

If you suspect that your dog has eaten chapstick, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately. While most cases of ingesting chapstick are not life-threatening, they can cause gastrointestinal distress and blockages if left untreated.

By staying aware of these symptoms and acting quickly, you can keep your pup healthy and happy!

Steps to Take Immediately if Your Dog Eats Chapstick

First things first, check for any signs of gastrointestinal distress in your furry friend after they’ve ingested that lip balm. Look out for vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or discomfort, and lack of appetite. If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s important to act quickly.

One of the first steps you can take is inducing vomiting to help remove as much of the chapstick from your dog’s system as possible. However, before doing this, it’s important to contact your vet for guidance on how to do it safely and effectively.

Another step is checking for obstruction by feeling your dog’s abdomen gently and monitoring their behavior closely. Keep an eye out for any unusual changes such as lethargy or excessive drooling.

Remember that chapstick can have harmful ingredients like xylitol that can lead to serious health problems if not addressed promptly. So always seek professional advice whenever in doubt about your pet’s health.

Preventing Your Dog from Eating Chapstick in the Future

To avoid any potential health risks, make sure to keep lip balm out of your pet’s reach and always store it in a secure location. Dogs are curious creatures that love exploring their environment with their mouth, so it’s crucial to supervise them closely.

If you notice that your dog has an affinity for chewing on objects like chapstick, you can use training techniques to teach them what is and isn’t acceptable behavior. One effective technique is positive reinforcement training, which involves rewarding your dog when they exhibit desirable behavior.

For example, you can give your dog healthy treats or praise when they leave the chapstick alone or chew on a designated toy instead. Over time, this will help them associate good behavior with rewards and reduce their desire to engage in destructive chewing habits.

Remember that consistency is key when training your pet, so make sure everyone in the household is on the same page and reinforces positive behaviors consistently.

Alternative Products for Your Dog’s Chapped Lips

If your pup is suffering from dry, chapped lips after eating chapstick, don’t fret! There are alternative products that can help soothe their discomfort.

Instead of using traditional lip balms that may contain harmful ingredients for dogs, consider opting for natural balms or DIY remedies. One option is to try a natural balm made specifically for dogs. These balms often contain ingredients like beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter which can help nourish and moisturize your dog’s lips. You can find these types of balms at pet stores or online retailers.

Another option is to make your own DIY remedy using simple household ingredients such as coconut oil and honey. Just mix the two together and apply it to your dog’s lips a few times a day until their lips start to heal.

Remember to always consult with your veterinarian before trying any new product on your pet.


In conclusion, while chapstick may seem harmless to us humans, it can pose serious health risks if ingested by our furry friends. As a responsible pet owner, it’s important to be aware of the signs that your dog has eaten chapstick and take immediate action if necessary. Remember to keep all lip balms and other potentially harmful products out of reach from your pets.

Fortunately, there are alternative products available specifically designed for dogs with chapped lips. These products are safe for your pet and will provide relief without posing any health risks.

By taking preventative measures and being proactive in caring for your dog’s health, you can ensure that they lead long, healthy lives free from unnecessary harm caused by ingesting harmful substances such as chapstick.

Hi, my name is Jane Davis and I love dogs. In fact, I own a labrador retriever named Max. When I was growing up, we always had dogs at our house. They provide us with such unconditional love and companionship, and I can't imagine my life without one by my side.

This website does not provide pet medical advice. For professional advice regarding your pet's health, please consult a licensed veterinarian in your local area.